Monday, May 13, 2013

Sophia Waters

Finally got her done.
And I just love her .
~♥~
~Sophia Waters~
R&R Reproductions ~ Sophia Waters
 I'm really happy with how the staining
came out on her.  She looks very old
and loved.  Click on the pics
to make them larger. 
~*~
I've been asked recently to share m
technique on staining.
  I usually stain my linen before 
I begin to cross stitch my piece 
because I like to use a
lot of over dyed floss.  Even though they 
may say color fast, it's still possible for 
them to run and ruin your finished piece.
 Spray or soak the linen with water. 
Mix up a batch of strong instant coffee 
or walnut crystals with some water. 
Use a sponge brush to randomly brush 
the linen with the staining mixture. 
 I blow dry the linen to set the 
staining and it's faster, but you could 
also let it air dry. Repeat if needed. 
If you're using DMC floss you can stain 
your piece afterwards if you choose.  
~*~ 
 I hung her on my large antique bucket
bench in our sunroom.
I think she looks great hanging
among all of my garden prims
and mason jar collection.
x x x x x
By the way....I took a few more
pics of our bloomin' garden.
Front Side Yard
First Iris to bloom!
   Before I end this post I would
just like to say thank you to all
who purchased my Civil War 
Needlebook kit.  I am truly amazed
and very touched by your response.
I'm all sold out, but there may still
be a few left at Dyeing to Stitch.
Many Smiles,
~Nan

13 comments:

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Sophia does look old and loved-just the way I like them! The first blooms are always so exciting.

moosecraft said...

Sophia looks right at home on your bucket bench! Congrats! I've been stitching on the Civil War Needlebook... reds and blues are ready and waving and waiting for the whites! lol! Won't be long now! :-)

Lori Ann Corelis said...

Beautiful stitches . . . Beautiful flowers!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

a lovely finish! And your sweet gardening display...cute as a button!

marly said...

You know I like Sophia! That cupboard is F.A.B.U.L.O.U.S.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Nan ~
It is wonderful!
Hugs :)
Lauren

MJ Hunt said...

Sophia is one of my very favorites! It appears she started out great but as time went on she hated doing it! That's how I would have been in my younger years also!

Lady Locust said...

I haven't cross-stitched for a while, but I wanted to say, "Thank You." I have read seeeveeerrraaaall (okay lots) of books about stitching, needlework, and quilting from past times & how the women shared ideas and patterns as opposed to now. So many 'it's my secret.' So kind of you.
Smiles
JoeyLea
http://www.thelocustblossom.blogspot.com/

Deb said...

What a beautiful finish and thank you for your staining tips. Lovely garden pictures as well and your bucket bench is spectacular, lovely piece! Deb

msmartello said...

Hi Nan,

I love Sophia Waters and I love were you placed her. She looks great. I am going to try your tip for staining the fabric. I have tried a few things and I have been really into the old look. Now that the nice weather is here I can leave them on the deck to dry. Wish me luck! LOL!
Maureen

Beehive Needleworks said...

Oh Nan...one lovely photograph after another! Miss Sophia, and her new "home" is perfect! And thank you most kindly for sharing your magic staining technique.
Sending joy your way ...
Judy

nathaliepoppy said...

Hi Nan !!!
ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!
Just lovely and I love the cupboarddddddddddddddddddddd !!!
I want the same !!!lol !!!
Have a great day ...
Love
Nat

Sandra said...

Love your new sampler Nan. You out did yourself again. Your garden looks wonderful. Don't you just love the freshness of Spring. If it would only last.
Blessings,
Sandra