Monday, July 5, 2010

My First Hornbook


This is my first hornbook.  I cut out the wood, sanded, stained, painted and waxed it.
The pattern is from a freebie called Quaker Six mains.  I used over dyed floss and stained the linen with walnut crystals. 
I really like these and I think it's such a cool way to display needlework.  Let me know your thoughts on this.  I haven't attached the stitched piece to it yet.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it, so I'd love any advice or suggestions you may have for me. 
As always, thanks for stopping by.

Smiles,
~Nan   


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job! I love the design and it looks wonderful as a hornbook. No suggestions on how to mount it, but no matter how you proceed, it's going to look wonderful.

Peggy Lee said...

That looks great! I've never finished anything in other than a pillow or framing so no advice from me.
What talent you have!!

Joy said...

Great job on making your own hornbook! There has to be a way to mount your stitching so you can change it out?

bayrayschild said...

Nan, I love your piece and I am very fond of hornbooks.
I have a piece stitched by a friend and framed in a hornbook that was made for me.
I love it! It looks GREAT!

Audrey

Maria said...

beautiful job!!!
ciao Maria

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

Beautiful work! I also would like to know how to mount the stitchery..

Kerri Arthur said...

Nan -
Love it!
You did a beautiful job.
I had to go find that design, got it, thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Kerri
thecalicorabbit.blogspot.com

Patti said...

I love it Nan! Something that I have always liked, but never done...
Blessings, Patti

Deb said...

It looks great. I like the way you finished it off!

The Crackling Crows Banners said...

Awww...I like!!! The finish looks very very cool!

Smiles Ivonne

Lauralee @ The Eclectic Stitcher said...

I love it! Perhaps you could use some self-stick velcro dots and that way you could change out the design? I certainly have never done that, but maybe it would work??? If you wanted it to be permanent, maybe use some Alene's sticky glue...