Friday, October 14, 2016

Friday Finishing

Worked away on this finish today...I purchased an old box just right for this piece. Theresa Meloon of Dulaney Woods Treasures originally did this finish for her new release "All Hallows Eve" and I loved it so much I had to copy the idea for my piece. 

I started out making a box cushion finish.......
Here is the tutorial I used as a refresher course...figuring out the depth is key
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk6tgiPhRyU


made sure it fit well inside the box.......


I felt more comfortable making a box cushion first and sewing the cross stitched piece to it once it was stuffed, rather than using my stitched piece for the actual box finish.  I haven't done this finish much and I didn't want to risk ruining my stitching...I'm sure you all can understand that...lol
I stuffed it firmly with wood shavings before sewing the stitched design on top of it.


It fit firmly inside my old box and I then cut some zig zag orange wool to finish it off.  Oh, I just love how it turned out...and look at this wonderful new linen color, Aged Saffron, by Dames of the Needle.....it is so prim.


I have to thank Theresa for this finishing idea.  I will cherish this piece as Tee, as I call her, is a very dear friend of mine.  She has just begun to design and I am very proud of her and one of her biggest fans.
If you get a chance, please check out her new designs and her Etsy Shop.

Happy Friday my friends and happy stitching!
~Nan

4 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Super design and super fabulous finish! Have a great weekend, Nan!

PS Thanks for the link!

Elizabeth said...

Love your finish, can you show how you made the cushion? Thanks!

diane said...

Beautiful!!!

moosecraft said...

Very clever finish! I did purchase this design... just need to sit long enough to stitch it now... Have a super Sunday!